Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Father ........my hero (sorry if this is embarrassing)


This Fathers day, and everyday really,as I am hours and hours away from my family, I have been very grateful for telephones and internet. Especially now with fathers day here, it has made me a little more home sick.  Don't get me wrong.  I am enjoying myself and I absolutely love it here and most of the time wouldn't want to be elsewhere, however homesickness does creep in every now and then.  Back to the point.  My Dad!  I don't know if I could ever explain to anyone and have everyone completely understand how much of a hero my father is.  This day was set aside for fathers because of guys like my dad.  When I was 12 years old, my parents divorced.  I don't remember much about family at that point.  I had other things to worry about.(diabetes) I do however, remember that my dad worked a lot.  He always had dinner on the table and made sure we had EVERYTHING we needed, and for the most part wanted.  Dinner was creative some nights, and i'm not sure even some moms could get this creative. (hot dog pizza, goolash, which in our family just meant any couple of things mixed together) Point is, we never went hungry. We made it to church every Sunday and to school in the mornings.  I usually tell people that my dad could listen to a car for a minute or two and be able to tell you what was wrong with it and how to fix it right away.  He has been known as McGyver (i have no idea how to really spell it) a time or two.  This man can fix anything.  And I mean anything! Food, Feelings, Gardens, Automobiles, motorcycles, plumbing, electronics, and the list goes on.  Reflecting on those years, I don't remember feeling like he had all of that going on.  Sure I knew he was busy and had his hands full, but.... Now that i'm an adult (or at least in that age bracket) I realize something.  My dad is a SUPer hero.  The financial stress he was probably under with six busy kids, the job responsibility, church callings,etc. all single handedly.  I'm not sure many guys would stick around for that kind of assignment.  He did.  I think I would have curled up in a ball and slept for weeks.  He didn't.  He pushed and pulled and helped us all to be the kids we are today.  On a funnier note.  I never imagined my dad to be a guy in a pageant.  Of course there were family reunions where he dressed in a leotard and did a gymnastics routine, and he did have a silly side.  But a few years ago, my dads wonderful wife Randi, signed them up for the Mormon Miracle Pageant in Nauvoo.  Eric and I had the chance to go, and I don't think I've ever seen my dad have more fun!He danced and sang up on that stage! It was awesome!




  Like I said, this man really does it all.  He knows everyone in St. George and surrounding areas, and he knows someone everywhere he goes.  He is a very social person and always lends a helping hand.  He always was the first to offer help to those in need. From a homeless man on the street, or a woman no one would talk to needing a ride to church, to his neighbors.  He has a giant heart.  So to this man, my father, my hero....Happy Fathers Day!  love ya dad!




1 comment:

Kim said...

What a great dad you have! I ran into him about a month ago and it sure did make me happy. I love that guy!